There is almost nothing more thrilling for a traveler than to book a trip across the world! However, if you have never gone abroad before, it can also be a little overwhelming to think about something going wrong while you’re far away from home. The best thing you can do before you travel is to be prepared!
- Make sure you have all your documents together. Make sure you apply for your passport well in advance and check to see if you need a visa for the country you are visiting.
- Scan your passport and print out a paper copy to take with you so you can leave your real passport at your hotel. If you do lose your passport, having a paper copy on hand will make it much easier for you to go into an embassy and get a replacement.
- Call your bank and let them know where and when you are going – you don’t want to be stuck in a foreign country unable to access your money.
- Get ready for customs. It’s a good idea to print out all of your flight details and accommodation confirmations. A customs officer might ask you if you have a flight booked out of the country, where you are staying, and what you are planning to do. Make sure you haven’t packed anything you aren’t allowed to take!
- Book international flights as early as possible for the best price.
- Try to learn a few basic phrases in the local language. Even though many people around the world speak English as a second language, they will greatly appreciate the effort.